How Do You Know You Are Doing A Good Job?
For gym owners or managers sometimes it is very difficult to tell if you are doing a good job.
Your employees may be afraid to give you constructive criticism but they are happy to talk about you when you are not around! IF you are lucky you will have one person who is NOT afraid to tell you the truth when you mess something up.
Is there anyone around to let you know when you have done a good job? All too often the answer is, “NO”.
Compliments feel shallow, forced or insincere.
Remember- Actions speak louder than words! In the gym we are more than a paycheck to most (hopefully all) of our employees.
You know you are doing a good job when:
- Coaches/ teachers volunteer to sub for a class.
- Coaches/ teachers do things to make your job easier
- Coaches/ teachers willingly do MORE than what is required of them.
- Coaches/ teachers are PROUD to be associated with you. They want to introduce you to their friends and family
- Coaches/ teachers play a joke on you.
You can not look for these things to happen every day, although that would be nice. If ANY of these things happens every once and a while, you are probably doing OK.
If NONE of these things happen, EVER– You probably have some work to do.
PRAISE THOSE AROUND YOU.
- – Personal fulfillment
- – Career advancement
- – Maybe even Free Coffee