I was at a competition last week and I was speaking with a group of coaches about motivation in the gym. Summing things up- In my gym, Atlantic Gymnastics, I only have a few rules. I feel that if you have some basic rules, nothing complicated, people will follow them.
1. BE ON TIME. Whether you are a Team Coach, A class teacher or a Gymnast. BE ON TIME. People are relying on you.
2. DO NOT SIT DOWN IN THE GYM. As a coach- you need to set the example. You can not motivate (or be motivated) from your ass.
3. NO CELL PHONES IN THE GYM. You need to stay focused. You can not be focused on coaching or on your gymnastics if you are distracted by text messages, twitter, Face Book etc.
4. DO NOT COME TO ME WITH A PROBLEM WITHOUT A POTENTIAL SOLUTION. This is about responsibility. I pride my self as a good listener. If you have a problem, I want to know and I want to help. BUT I want you to have given it some thought first.
5. EVERYONE LEAVES WITH A SMILE. Sometimes it is an act. But it is a better way to get through life.
5 simple rules. I think because of it, the gym is a happier place.
One of the people I was talking to said that they sit down all the time in the gym. That they will work hard when the gymnasts started to work hard. All I could say was, “Wait, you are letting kids determine the tone of your workout? What message are you sending?”