The entire statement can be found here- USAG STATEMENT
Due to circumstances at the gymnastics venue at the 2013 World Games in Cali, Colombia, the International Gymnastics Federation informed its member federations that it found the conditions violate its rules and regulations. As a result, the FIG asked its member federations to sign a waiver requesting a waiver of responsibility for providing a safe environment for the athletes.
“The USA is not the only country that raised concerns and issues over this matter, although we have been informed that the USA remains alone in its decision to not sign the waiver. Should the problematic conditions be corrected to the satisfaction of the FIG, meet its applicable rules, and relieve the athletes and USA Gymnastics of the need to sign this waiver, the U.S. athletes will gladly participate.”
The waiver that each FIG member federation was asked to sign listed a number of different points to be confirmed, including the following text taken from the waiver:
- FIG has duly informed me that the warm-up, training and competition conditions here in Cali are violating the FIG’s Rules and that the FIG therefore wishes to cancel the competitions.
- FIG drew my attention to the temperatures, which are considerably higher than the allowed maximum of 24 degrees Celsius.
- FIG informed me that the temperature can be up to 30 degrees Celsius and higher.
- FIG made me aware of the fact of electricity cuts, which could put my athlete(s) at risk during warm-up, training and competing.
- FIG informed me, that the warm-up and training tent is not sufficiently stable to support wind.
- Being fully aware of the above, I wish and allow my athlete(s) to train and compete at The World Games 2013 in Cali.
- I shall not make FIG or IWGA or any official of the FIG or IWGA responsible in case of an incident or accident.
- I herewith explicitly waive all my rights to regress against FIG, IWGA and any official of FIG and IWGA.